Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Our first broken bone

 
 Oh Oscar. Poor Oscar.

We often say that our baby gates aren't to keep our kids safe, but to keep our stuff safe from the kids.
And on one night, over a week ago, the gate actually resulted in injury.
Steve was carrying Oscar and tripped over the gate. He dropped Oscar onto the couch, and Oscar started crying. It wasn't a hard drop. I saw the whole thing. We play so much rougher with him, that I just thought he was scared.  But then he wouldn't walk, so we thought he had bruised his knee.  But then when he woke up and hour after going to bed crying and with agony on his face, I knew he had to go to the ER.
His demeanor at the hospital was so happy even the doctors thought it was probably just a sprain. And then the x-rays came back. And we learned he has a compression  fracture in his femur. They got home really late and Oscar had a hard, molded splint (he is holding it in one of the pictures) and bandages on his leg. Two days later we got his cast put on.  He picked out the dinosaur green (we even call his bad leg his dinosaur leg). When he was getting it on the nurses were in love with how charming and happy he was.



It has been over a week now since the cast was put on and he is doing great. It doesn't seem to bother him that much.  And I think he likes being carried around. I like having a milder little boy who can't run away from me.  He has to have his cast on for six weeks and can't stand or walk on his leg at all.


5 comments:

Marcia said...

Thank heavens you took him in quickly! Poor little guy. We had some bad broken legs with Daniel and they still give me nightmares.

Carolyn said...

So glad he is handling it like a champ! Keep the pictures coming. I cannot believe how much cuteness comes from one kid.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

I'm so glad you all have handled it so well. What a little trooper.

Liz said...

Awwww, what a tough little buddy. Sorry for the ER trip, those are even more miserable for Mommy than the child, because Mommy cries for every bit of pain her babies feel!! I'm glad he's doing well, cute boy!

Better off Moore said...

Bummer! It's never fun to see your child in pain. He's a tough little guy.