Thursday, January 3, 2013

Our New Year's Tradition

A couple times since moving to NoVA we have gone up to the big city on New Years day morning.
And we did that again this year.
It is the perfect time to go to DC because everyone is still asleep from staying up late to watch the ball drop. But for those of us who's kids will be up before 7 weather we rang in the new year or not (NOT!) it gives us the opportunity to wander around the museums with them and take the metro without the huge crowds. One of the really fun things is a lot of other families have this idea so there are other kids on the trains and lots of strollers being pushed around.
This is probably one of our last times taking the metro in because we now have to pay for Betty, and that is just wrong. Also, the train makes me sick.


 

We went to the Smithsonian Museums of America History and Natural History.
Carefully scouting out what we would like to see in each.
I the American History Museum we all really liked the transportation exhibit.
This is Betty sitting next to a traveling salesman at the train depot.


And I really want one of these cars. Wood sideboards and all.
Why don't they still make cars that look this cool for the whole family?


The kids always love the Hall of Mammals. I try not to think about how all of these animals are stuffed- there is just something weird to me about that.



I think Oscar mostly enjoyed the rocks on the pathways at the Mall. This boy loves a rock. I always find one when taking a load of laundry out of the dryer.


And when we got home at 2 we were all exhausted... but we still had Christmas decorations to take down.

5 comments:

delilas said...

What a fun tradition. Hey Ford makes a car similar to that now, which I really like too, but no wood side boards, bummer (my kids think I am crazy).

Nancy said...

Such a good tradition. We rarely all go in to the city together and now that there are four kids, I don't see the kids and I making the venture on our own. We had to give up on the Metro awhile ago. It's the best part for the kids, but I was paying for two kids and having to get on after the morning rush and head back before the afternoon rush. It was ridiculous.

Michelle Tiller said...

Looks like lots of fun. Gorgeous pics xxx

Louise said...

Love the tradition - you have such a gorgeous family by the way! I am going to do better at blogging again this year - let's keep in touch!

Liz said...

Wow, you guys are ambitious!! I'm impressed you made this trip with so many little ones!! Is the carousel still there? Well, I guess probably not in the wintertime, huh? I agree with the taxidermy. It's weird, and gross if you think more than 10 seconds about it. I don't wish I had a station wagon. I'm a big fan of the modern minivan, myself, especially the dvd players. Oh, and AC. My parents didn't get their first car with AC until I was 6- their first minivan actually, and first 2nd car, which they bought 7 years into their marriage, right after their 4th baby, probably because they couldn't all fit in their Hyundai anymore. Such a humbling thought!!! I'm also impressed you took on the Christmas take down the same day. Our decorations are still up. I'll get to it when I get to it. Maybe I'll get to it in March. :o)